Sunday, January 10, 2010

When it starts being a game again. At last.

First of, I think everybody should totally condemn the brutal attacks on the Togo national team. Such acts of barbarism cannot be excused on any grounds, including that of negligence on the part of the Togolese football authorities. Second, I respect the decision of the country to pull out of the tournament. I think it is fair to the players and the officials involved in the attacks to be excused from the pressure of competition immediately after.

Third and most importantly, I want us to talk about the football. Yes, the game on the pitch. Could there have been a better way for the tournament to kick off than this? I saw the first half and was completely turned off by the quality of play (or lack of it). Mali played absolutely shocking football in the first half and Angola wasn't any better. Guess what yours truly decided to do then. I went away for a team study session, only to miss perhaps the greatest comeback in international football history. Gutted. Absolutely gutted!

I trust that most of my crew watched the game in full so I'm counting on you guys to tell me what changed about the pathetic Mali team I saw in the first half. Did Stephen Keshi make any game changing moves? Did players like Kanoute suddenly show more interest and commitment in the last 20 minutes? Did Angola tire or become complacent? Was it pure luck like the 2005 Liverpool - AC Milan game?? Whatever it was, I think it was the best possible riposte to the rebels and a great way to draw attention rightfully to The Beautiful Game.

2 comments:

  1. i know the Liverpool jibe is a bait but here i am ready to wade in and defend the glorious achievements of Liverpool (lol). I watched the game 'til the scores went 4-0 and i made the mistake of thinking that was that and left to find greener pastures elsewhere (Milan vs Juventus and Barca vs Tenerife). I got my green pastures alright (Milan 3 - Juve 0, Barca 5 - Tenerife 0) but definately not greener that the Mali game. Damn, i missed!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Liverpool comment is less a jibe than a statement of most people's thoughts on that match. Anyway, I think it is common among us footie fans to think the better match is on the other channel. But what happened to Algeria? Those guys are a disgrace. I have money on them to win the whole thing and see how they start?

    ReplyDelete