Sunday, January 3, 2010

The blast of the referee's whistle.........

In a throwback to Robert DeNiro’s baseball speech in The Untouchables, I will say that as a man becomes older, he finds out that the essence of his life is in his enthusiasms. Enthusiasms – what bring him joy, what draw his admiration, what make him look forward to another day on this earth. What are mine? One: football.

I have been a football fan since I have known me. I was fortunate to be born in a football crazy country like Ghana. In Ghana, you become a football follower unconsciously. It is part of your upbringing. It surrounds you from the moment you are born. In your cradle, in your parents’ bedroom, in the small porch of your house, on the unpaved streets, on every school field, from gutter to gutter. You play football by default and you become a football coach by default. You learn every aspect to the game unwittingly. Football is a national obsession.

What then makes football special to me? It is just two teams of eleven men each, kicking a ball weighing ~450g around, right? Wrong. To me, football is an education. I have learned perhaps the most important principles in psychology, sociology, mathematics and strategy from watching and playing football. It has also taught me the most important practical lessons in life: preparation, hard work, focus, sacrifice and team work.

Football is a unifier. What else will bring eleven strong men each from the US and Iran together on the same turf? How about North and South Korea? Football defies tribe, ethnicity or race. When the goal is scored, it doesn’t matter if it was an Israeli who scored or a Lebanese who gave the pass. Unless of course, you are Amr Zaki. Football is also a leveler. It is a classless sport. In the game, the dreams of egalitarians come true. On the same field, it is common to find someone from a poor childhood arm in arm with another who had a privileged upbringing. In the pub, it is not uncommon to find a bank analyst sharing a few bottles of Guinness with his director over a Champions League match.

Most importantly, football is the strongest bond between me and my best friends. Be they in Accra, London or Boston, it is the adhesive that holds us together. It is what we call each other about. My friends visit my Facebook page, expecting an interesting line they can comment on. They look forward to me making a ridiculous statement so they can heap abuse on me. I send them text messages to gloat when their teams lose, like this. Not a day passes without us touching base about the latest happenings in the sport we adore.

This is thus my motivation for this blog – that my friends and I will have a platform to share everything we love about our game. This blog is about the jokes, the gossips and the laughter we indulge in. It is about the frank interchange of ideas. It is about the tactics, the formations, the famous stadiums, the big matches and the biggest personalities we discuss. It may have taken a long time in coming, but finally the pre-match hype is over and Right Said Fred have sung their inspirational song. Let’s get on with the game.

To my American and Canadian friends: by Football here I mean Soccer (eww!!)

11 comments:

  1. welcome to the blogosphere. I will u well. Perhaps reading ur blog will get me interested in football. Currently, i don't care that much about it. I blame it on my socialization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cleland Fiifi AffulJanuary 3, 2010 at 7:00 PM

    Really interesting. Could have been better without this part "I send them text messages to gloat when their teams lose, like this" and you know why. But with Amr Zaki the least said about him the better. I actually want anyone to find out for me how many matche Joe Hendrich played for the black Stars and how many red cards did he get? From what I remember it was 5 appearance 3 red cards lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really interesting. Could have been better without this part "I send them text messages to gloat when their teams lose, like this" and you know why. But with Amr Zaki the least said about him the better. I actually want anyone to find out for me how many matche Joe Hendrich played for the black Stars and how many red cards did he get? From what I remember it was 5 appearance 3 red cards lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice piece man!!!!! and i agree with the text messaging... case in point, when man u lost last night my message i sent to my cousin was "and football has prevailed once again."..

    question here though is why was Alex mad at the extra time?.. the Alex i know would have otherwise tried to explain to us why he it should have been more time added on...lol.... once again football has won!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice piece Kwame. u eat, drink and sleep football. i like your choice of words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "In the pub, it is not uncommon to find a bank analyst sharing a few bottles of Guinness with his director over a Champions League match." spoken like two guys i know!just cleaning the dust off my boot for 2010 training.nice piece.keep it up,chap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great literary piece Thomas....

    Football wouldnt be what it is if there was nobody to poke fun at when their teams lose a match...
    I always say that when the black stars lose a match, i feel bad but thats just how far it gets When Liverpool loses a game, i lose my sleep as well because the Man U and Chelsea fans wont just let me. I dont do any differently when their team loses

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Esi: ah “blogosphere”! I was waiting for someone to drop that bomb on me. Anyway, thanks for the welcome message. I wish for all my friends to share in the feast on this page so I look forward to the rest of us making a convert of you. Besides, it is not that hard to fall in love with the beautiful game. Just open your heart to it.

    @Fiifi: Still lmao at the Leeds win. Sorry, I can’t help it. In the end though, we all know that this was an outlying occurrence. Man Utd will come good so take heart. As for Joe Hendricks, hmmm, I think you're right. It was like 3 red cards in 5 matches. It must be a record of a sort, unless Rigobert Song has something to say about that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Attyso and Nikoi: Thanks for the compliments! You’re real connoisseurs of this sport so it helps to get your approvals. I look forward to discussing issues on here for years to come. This is sort of our virtual “tv room”, but thankfully without the stench! Put down anything you have on your mind, and I’ll get them posted here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lmao with these comments here. Tom you remember our days in ghanass, you wrote an equally inspiring piece when hearts whip kotoko 4 goals to nothing? hahaha i do (thats how i will get back to you on the man u leeds game, which still upsets me by the way).
    well, well, well, football is the game. i cant help but just love the game wherever it is played.
    you would be amazed to know that in brazil, for every killometer, there are approximately 3 parks for football. are you surprised of talents such as the great ronaldo de lima de nazario, ronaldinho gaucho et al? but i still say brazil's love for the game is not stronger than ghana's...now lets win CAN 2010 and the SA 2010.
    go ghana. nice piece though. keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great write-up bro.. let's see wat the year holds for football lovers and haters as well.. we all know it holds alot but who can tell.Let's wait patiently and see it unfold gradually.. ! hope to see more such articles in near future!

    ReplyDelete